How do I find content to share?
- Follow accounts who share content you love. Check out local news outlets, engineering blogs, and online magazines. Promote your upcoming events, but be sure to follow the 4-1-1 rule! Retweet or share content from ASCE Headquarters, etc.
How do I engage my audience?
- Ask questions, share behind-the-scenes, run a contest, host a chat.
How do I get more followers?
- Building followers takes time, patience, and consistency. Review our tips for building followers and remember – your follower count is not as important as you may think. Engaging and interacting with your audience in a meaningful way is the most valuable part of social media, no matter how big that audience may be!
What is a hashtag and how do I use it?
- A hashtag, denoted by a pound sign, is used to draw attention, organize, or promote. Hashtags originated on Twitter to make it easier to find, follow, or join in on conversations and can now be used on most social platforms, including Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram. Still need help demystifying #hashtags? Go here.
Should I use paid advertising?
- Your paid advertising strategy will be determined by your goals and, most importantly, your budget. Boosting posts is a useful way to get your content in front of more eyes; however, it is not necessary in every case. If you determine that paid promotion is the best route for your strategy, refer to this guide for more information about getting started with ads.
How often should I post?
- There is no one-size-fits-all strategy for post frequency. While ASCE provides guidelines, you must determine what works best for your audience. The most important thing to keep in mind is CONSISTENCY IS KEY. An unmoderated social media account reflects negatively on your section or brand, as well as ASCE. If you do not maintain a consistent posting schedule, ASCE may ask you to sunset your page.
How do I create graphics?
- You don’t need to be a graphic designer to create visually compelling graphics for your section or branch. We recommend Canva, a free and simple-to-use website.
How should I measure success?
- Success should be based on the goals you have set for your social media. This means that your metrics for success may be different than a neighboring section or branch, or even vary from platform to platform. The #1 way to measure if your efforts have been successful is to track your analytics. Most platforms have built-in analytics trackers through which you can monitor and analyze important numbers like reach, engagement, and link clicks. For more info about analytics, go here.
Can I schedule posts?
- Yes! Scheduling your content ahead of time is a great way to optimize efficiency. There are many different scheduling platforms to choose from, but two highly-used, free services are Hootsuite and Buffer.
What are good resources if I want to learn more about social media?
- Social media is an ever-growing,
ever-changing field. Learning the basics is just the beginning. Here are some
great resources to answer your questions, no matter how broad or specific they
- ASCE’s social media team: [email protected].